Thursday, August 14, 2008

Favorite Album for Every Year of my Life

People were doing this a while ago, but I just started this, and would like to try to maintain a semi-regular update history. Plus, I have nothing to do at work these next two days, so this will keep me busy. For the record: less thought is being put into this than probably should be. Since I am at work, I don't have my iTunes so I can't sort my music by year or anything. I am just going off the dome and assisted by Robert Christgau's Pazz & Jop Archives, as well as Pitchforks Best Of Lists and Wikipedia.

(Update) This actually turned into a pretty good list for myself, Pitchfork and Wikipedia's list of albums released in each year helped out tremendously.

1988~ Pixies- Surfer Rosa

1989~ Galaxie 500- On Fire

1990~ A Tribe Called Quest- People's instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm (Hardly my favorite Tribe album, but I had a fuck of a time trying to pick out an album from this year. 1990 did not do much for me.)

1991~ A Tribe Called Quest- The Low End Theory (This is my favorite Tribe album, thanks again 1990.)

1992~ Pavement- Slanted &Enchanted/ R.E.M.- Automatic for the People

1993~ Wu-Tang Clan- Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

1994~ If only 1990 had like a sixth of the albums 1994 had. I'm going to pick a rap and a non-rap CD here:~ Jeru the Damaja- The Sun Rises in the East/Weezer- Weezer

1995~ Radiohead- The Bends

1996~ Jay-Z- Reasonable Doubt

1997~ Elliott Smith- Either/Or

1998~ Neutral Milk Hotel- In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

1999~ Wilco- Summerteeth

2000~ Ryan Adams- Heartbreaker

2001~ Death Cab for Cutie- The Photo Album

2002~ Broken Social Scene- You Forgot It in People

2003~ The Shins- Chutes Too Narrow/My Morning Jacket- It Still Moves

2004~ Kanye West- The College Dropout

2005~ The National- Alligator

2006~ The Hold Steady- Boys & Girls in America

2007~ Lil' Wayne- Drought III

2008~ The Hold Steady- Stay Positive

No comments: